Short term affects of pesticicde use....
- Protects plants from from insects and other organisms that would harm the growth of vegetation.
- May kill large amounts of organisms within a short period of time (Ex. insects, fungi, weeds, rats,
mice, and flies.
- Prevents foods such as corn, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, etc. from being contaminated, therefeore it
helps prevent human illness.
- Can help maintain various attractions, such as a golf course (Ex. the course used in our casse study).
Long term affects of pesticide use if not addressed...
- Humans may be harmed by the pesticicdes either by eating meats and vegetables containing pesticides,
or by working in an environment containing a high amount of pesticicdes.
- Organisms may become immune to a certain pesticide therefore causing research and production of another
more effective pesticide.
- Pesticides may cause illness, such as cancer, (Ex. In our case study, Commisioner Smith had lost a
wife due to cancer).
- There may be smaller amounts of pesticides at the lower end of the food chain, but as larger organisms
consume vast amounts of smaller organisms the amount of pesticides become more abundant in the environment. This
causes deformities in the offspring of the pesticide infected organisms.